Neon Mine 2.0 Testserver

Neon Mine 2.0 Testserver

There will be a test server online from time to time instead of the normal Mine server, except for the case we really do need both at the same time. You will be able to recognize the server by it's name and the error it gives you, if you don't have the Forge API installed.
      The test server has a whitelist and is a creative server. If you want to get added to the whitelist, post it here or contact me somehow else (it doesn't matter). There are no prerequisites.

To be able to play you need a Minecraft 1.4.2 client with the Forge API 6.0.1 (click to download; it's an adfly link, but I think it's okay to support the developers by using this link) installed.
      To install this mod you just need to open your minecraft.jar with a program that can do that (like 7zip) and add all the files from the downloaded archive to the minecraft.jar. Don't forget to delete the META-INF folder or it won't work!
      You do not need to make a backup. You can use Minecraft with the Forge API installed to play on vanilla servers.

Start Minecraft one time now until you get to the menu, then close it again.

There should be a directory called mods now in your .minecraft folder. The following list contains links to files you need to download and just put into this mods directory in order to be able to play on our server. Forge will tell you if you need some more mods to join our server.

Mods
      BuildCraft
      IndustrialCraft 2
      NetherOres
      PowerConverters
      Railcraft

You may have to remove the mods you don't want to use in SSP before playing it.
      The nuts are refined! They take the coal!

Post was edited 3 times, last by “Firzen”: added mods: PowerConverters and NetherOres ().

The mods Tekkit includes were the first ones I looked for as they seem to be quite good.
      The original Tekkit pack is easy to use and all, but it's totally outdated. It uses Minecraft 1.2.5 and the corresponding old mods. I prefered to base on the current Minecraft version 1.4.2 and keep the mods up to date manually to ensure that we always have a minimal amount of bugs and a maximal amount of features.

I also decided to take only open source mods, because closed source strongly depends on the respective developer(s) and usually leads to long waiting times for people that use these mods. If we would e.g. install one closed source mod that isn't updated for two months, but all other mods we use are already updated we would have to wait for this single dev to update their mod, because we can't simply disable a mod as it already has modified our save files. If it's open source I can download the source and compile it for the newer version on my own. The basic requirements, i.e. the Minecraft Coder Pack and the Forge API, are usually updated within a few days or hours after the release of a new Minecraft version. (And these are the only things that are required to compile a mod for a new Minecraft version (besides the Java stuff)).
      The nuts are refined! They take the coal!