Microsoft to buy Mojang for $ 2 billion

Microsoft to buy Mojang for $ 2 billion

Hello Minecrafters,

as announced nearly everywhere on the internet today (have an example on ars technica) Microsoft apparently wants to buy Mojang, the developers of Minecraft, for $ 2 billion (that's $ 2,000,000,000).

Decide on your own whether you think Microsoft is doing this for the greater good and has nothing in mind than enriching the players' Minecraft experience on all platforms while keeping Minecrafts well-known athmosphere or whether they just want to earn damn fuckloads of money (probably far more than $ 2 billion on the long run).
      Of course Microsoft will continue a strong support for Linux and Mac, they would never port the game from Java to their MS Visual C++ system, they would not stop development on Playstation and develop the game only on XBox, they won't stop support for Android and iOS and make a Windows Phone port instead, and they're not going to include loads of microtransactions everywhere so that you won't be able to play Minecraft legally with all it's features and stuff without establishing a constant money stream to Microsoft. Notch promised everyone will only have to pay one single time forever. Microsoft will of course keep it like that.

If you're one of the dumb few that disagree, here's a stupid petition for you.
      Petition: Notch, don't sell Mojang to Microsoft!

If you think petitions are stupid in general, just consider your alternatives. You can just sit and watch or you can try to contribute to a sign from the players towards Mojang. There's nothing to lose at this point.
      The nuts are refined! They take the coal!

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Firzen”: corrected a tag ().

actually: It's minecraft.. :bitchplease: If those bastards are smart they take the $2billion paycheck and go on easy retirement.. I know what I would do #Imrichgtfogame :bitchplease:
      [img]http://neon.neon-gaming.de/img/mechbars/trollface.png[/img] Image not found! :trollface:
      Of course Mojang is freaking rich. Minecraft is one of the most sold games ever (50 million copies for all platforms). They have 40 employees and made over 330 million $ just in 2013. That makes 8,25 million $ per employee. Notch alone made hundreds of millions with this game and his company Mojang AB.

But Notch always had such offers from investors. They weren't that huge, but Notch always said no, because he cares about the communities opinion. If Mojang belongs to Microsoft, I don't think it will go on like that. Microsoft is one of the companies that actually don't have to care about costumers opinion at all, since they are one of the richest companies on the market.

I still have the hope that Notch, Jeb and Carl Manneh (Mojang CEO) won't agree on that deal. Also Notch would actually never have as much possibilities as he has now. If he wants to create another game, he would have to start from scratch. With selling Mojang AB he actually sells Minecraft, Cobald, Scrolls and the game he is working on, 0x10c. All his work would be for the drain.
      It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Albus Dumbledore
      Passwords are like toilet paper. Don't reuse, don't share ones you've used, and no one should be asking to see what you've used. - Unknown

Bass wrote:

and the game he is working on, 0x10c. All his work would be for the drain.

Just to correct you, the game 0x10c has been cancelled already over one year ago but ye selling Mojang to Microsoft would be the biggest punch into users faces since the sell of WhatsApp to Facebook, It's sad to see how often people, who started their project as small community actions based on promises like "we will never sell our company" (CEO of WhatsApp) then sell their souls for money or power

A quote of Abraham Lincoln does fit here very well: "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.". I hope Notch and the rest of the Mojang team won't fell for it.

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Benne / Tjong” ().

imo, a creator of whatever he created, has all the right to sell it to make even more profit.
      It's not about the money i think, atleast it's not the main reason.
      Maybe he want's to do smth else i mean MC is kinda at it's prime now. it will grow a bit but not massively.

With that money and with all the free time he has, he can make smth new or just buy an island :D
      [img]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2273/ufs.png[/img]
      Don't really agree with you there Iron, if they continue updating the game like they have done in the past then I don't think they have reached the top. Also with additions like Tekkit/Voltz and many more(Tekkit lite) the game will stay popular.

Ironorange wrote:

imo, a creator of whatever he created, has all the right to sell it to make even more profit

We're not talking about rights here :fuckingkidding: of course he also has the right to sell his work to a drunken wombat if he really wants to. The thing is that there's more in the world than just money and to comment your second statement

Ironorange wrote:

With that money and with all the free time he has, he can make smth new or just buy an island :D
      Notch is already a multimillionaire in the very higher 2 digit-area, if he would want to buy a fucking island or found a new gaming business, then he doesn't need to sell Mojang, he already got a huge shitload of money from just selling minecraft for that very cheap price and he deserves every cent of it, so where's the point of making even more money if you can already nearly buy whatever you want?

But as I know you, discussions with you always take forever so you will now just find another very good point, that will totally make sense again...
      [img]http://tjong.neon-gaming.de/images/imout.png[/img]
      [lewildofftopic]

HEY! :rageface:
      Gimme back my Jetpack! :nothingtodoherejetpack: (add dis meme plox!)

[/lewildofftopic]

ontopic:
      $20 for a 'new' game that looks like it was made in the early 90's isn't cheap (and here comes the flaming) :bitchplease:
      Even Transport Tycoon has better graphics :why: And by graphics I mean textures. For someone who has millions he could at least hire some decent texture makers to improve this game :yuno:

and if you disagree, here is a picture of your girlfriend in minecraft: 24q0hz7.jpg
      [img]http://neon.neon-gaming.de/img/mechbars/trollface.png[/img] Image not found! :trollface:

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Pipo” ().

The textures are probably that low resolution, because it belongs to Minecraft's style. In the beginning it may have been because Notch wasn't able to produce better ones, but now it's a part of the original Minecraft. However, there are enough HD texture packs for those who want Minecraft to look less pixely and you don't pay $ 20 for the textures, but for the whole game and all future updates. And seen from the point of view of a newbie to Minecraft the game has much to explore and many possibilities - I'd say that's worth $ 20.

Just got another idea: MS could also make a Minecraft clone with some extensions and sell it as Minecraft 2 for € 59.95... :fuckingkidding:
      The nuts are refined! They take the coal!
      Now it's official, Mojang got bought by Microsoft for 2.5 billion dollars.

You can read everything concerning this in the blog post.

Notch already announced that he is going to share his own thoughts about this soon.

Edit:
      Here it is.
      It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Albus Dumbledore
      Passwords are like toilet paper. Don't reuse, don't share ones you've used, and no one should be asking to see what you've used. - Unknown
      Well, read his thoughts about it, and I must say that the man has a good point, when shit hits massive scales like minecraft you better sell it in order to keep sane.. that he gained a few bucks is a nice convienience :bitchplease:
      -It's not about the money.. yeh that's why they sold it for not 2 billion but for 2,5 billion :bitchplease: (probably in the interest of the rest of Mojang more than Notch himself)
      - It's always about money, now he can do what he wants to do best.. which isn't buying islands.. it's building tiny computergames and experiment with it :notbad: I like that.
      Sorry for the true hardcore minecraft fans that it's owner is now Microsoft :( I wonder what they will do with it. :pokerface:

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Pipo” ().

Trust me, even a company like microsoft doesn't throw arround that kind of money if they haven't done their homework.
      I wouldn't be surprised if they already have plans on how to squeeze more money from minecraft players so they can get their money back.
      As for Notch, he probably did get the better deal. He would have had to make a lot of changes in order to get that much money from casual players. But now Microsoft is most likely to make those changes. Since everybody already hates them it was probably better for Notch to take that money and use it to build an other amazing game than to get his own customers pissed off.
      :barbecue: [img]http://neon.neon-gaming.de/img/userbars/mod.png[/img] :barbecue:
      [img]http://neon.neon-gaming.de/img/letterings/neonRace3.0.banner.png[/img]
      Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
      -Joseph Stalin